Information on Hiring Caitlin:
I am available for speaking engagements of all types and sizes and to all types of audiences, as well as film screenings, panels, classroom lectures, trainings, workshops, and more. I am a experienced facilitator and have many years of experience designing and implementing community based projects and campaigns, as well as supporting and coaching community organizers.
I do request a speaker fee for events and ongoing consulting projects, but am flexible around budgetary issues and will work with you to come to a fee that works for all of us.
More information on my experience and background is available here.
In addition to presentations, workshops, and speaking events, I am particularly interested in opportunities to:
- Work with institutional funders to use their resources to support grassroots community organizing without the institution running the show. I believe there are many creative ways to do this that are community-driven and community-centered while also providing institutions with what they need to continue to justify this use of resources. My approach to this work is strongly influenced by Popular Education, Visionary Organizing and Asset Based Community Development.
- Support organizations of all kinds to find ways to actively engage and include people with disabilities and draw connections around disability as it relates to and intersects with other struggles for social justice.
- Coach, nurture, mentor and support grassroots community organizers.
- Support the design and facilitation of gatherings and conferences focused on issues of social justice that use methods such as popular education and open space.
- Working with fellow white folks to understand and dismantle white supremacy.
- Working in rural communities and small towns, particularly in the south.
- Freelance writing opportunities that support like-minded organizations and individuals.
- Opportunities to explore questions such as:
- What can communities do to create and implement their own solutions and create supports around folks without relying on the human service system or government to do it for them? How can we create pockets of the world we want to live in together now?
- How can we use stories to show impact to funders who have traditionally emphasized numbers over stories?
- How do you find and build relationships with folks who aren’t already plugged into community life?
- How do you truly engage folks who have been extremely marginalized and isolated to come into community and participate in meaningful leadership roles?
Speaking Events and Workshops:
Topics I have spoken on in the past:
- Asset Based Community Development (ABCD)
- Visionary Organizing
- Disability and inclusive community organizing
- Leading by Stepping Back: Building Community Partnerships that Actually Work
- Equity and Community Engagement in Grant Making
- Intersex 101 (Includes basic definitions, my personal story, usually a brief film or excerpt from a film, Q&A and discussion, plus lots of hand-outs and resource list for further reading.)
- Screenings of intersex documentaries ‘One in 2000’ and ‘Intersexion’
- Intersections: How disability can inform intersex in the classroom and beyond
- Feminist Critiques of V-Day and the Vagina Monologues
- Intersex and Transgender connections
- LGBTQ – I?
- How to work with and support intersex students (for teachers)
- How to work with and support intersex clients (for people in the mental health field)
- Working with intersex survivors of sexual abuse and assault
- Queer femme identity
- Government harassment and surveillance of activists, specifically my lawsuit against the Dekalb County Police Department and the Department of Homeland Security
Some of the places, events, and organizations I have presented to in the past:
- Emory University
- Emory School of Medicine
- Spelman College
- Agnes Scott College
- Georgia State University
- The Southern Comfort Conference (Atlanta, GA)
- Our True Colors Conference (University of Connecticut)
- The Unity Conference (Chapel Hill, NC)
- The Southern Girls Convention (Athens, GA and Asheville, NC)
- The National Conference on Organized Resistance (Washington, DC)
- The Sweaty South Queer and Trans Convergence (Durham, NC)
- The 2007 United States Social Forum (Atlanta, GA)
- Charis Books and More/Charis Circle
- Georgia Association of Physicians for Human Rights
- Dekalb Rape Crisis Center
- The Five College Intersex Symposium – October 2012 – Hosted by Mount Holyoke College, sponsored by: Five College Feminist Science and Technology Studies Initiative, Five College Women’s Studies Research Center, Five Colleges, Inc., University of Massachusetts WGSS, Mt Holyoke Gender Studies, Hampshire Feminist Studies, Smith SWAG, Stonewall Center
- The Georgia Gay-Straight Alliance Youth Summit
- The Commonwealth Council on Developmental Disabilities
- The Oregon Council on Developmental Disabilities
- The Toronto Summer Institute
- The Georgia Winter Institute
- Reinventing Quality Conference (Baltimore, MD)
- The Friends School of Atlanta
- The American Association of Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities 2016 Conference (Atlanta, GA)
- Loyola University Baltimore
- 2016 Georgia Family Connection Partnership Conference
- Beloved Community Steering Committee (Statesboro, GA)
- Neighbours Inc.
- Grassroots Grantmakers
- The Denver Foundation
Examples of some of the classes in which I have guest lectured:
- Intro to Women and Gender Studies
- Intro to Sociology
- Intro to American Studies
- Disparities in Sexual Health
Examples of some of the clients I have worked with on an ongoing basis as a consultant:
- The Arc Georgia
- Author Janice Fialka to promote her book What Matters: Reflections on Disability, Community, and Love
- The Georgia Microboards Association
- Georgians for Alternatives to the Death Penalty/Proof to a Preponderance of the Evidence (PAPE) Coalition
- The Georgia Advocacy Office
And much more! I am flexible with content and can work with you to design a presentation or service that best fits your audience and organizational needs.
To inquire about booking please contact me at: caitlinpetrakischilds (at) gmail.com or 770-988-5388